Optimise Citizen Mobility and Freight Management in Urban Environments (OPTICITIES) is a Seventh Framework Programme project which aims to help European cities tackle complex urban mobility challenges through focusing on the optimisation of transport networks, experimentation of innovative intelligent transport system (ITS) services and strong public/private partnerships.
OPTICITIES will deliver significant breakthroughs in Lyon, Birmingham, Gothenburg, Madrid, Torino and Wroclaw. OPTICITIES addresses both passenger and freight transport issues and supports a user-centred approach. It will deliver innovative breakthrough in:
- New governance scheme between public and private stakeholders through a contractual architecture fostering data quality and implementing data access policy;
- European standard for urban multimodal data set including interfaces with information services;
- Decision support tools based on predictive data for proactive transport management and Multimodal Traffic Control Systems connecting road traffic and public transport data in cities;
- Multimodal real-time urban navigator interfaced with in-car navigation systems as a first world trial;
- Urban freight navigator to support drivers and fleet operators in optimising their deliveries.
The OPTICITIES consortium is composed of 25 partners from 8 EU member states and includes the experience of 6 city authorities, the knowledge of major ITS research institutes, information service providers, car industry and the multiplier effect of the most important networks of international public transport operators.
EUROCITIES role in the project is Work Package leader for Dissemination.