The aim of CITYKEYS is to develop and validate, with the aid of cities, key performance indicators and data collection procedures for the common and transparent monitoring as well as the comparability of smart city solutions across European cities.
EUROCITIES will work together with the research institutes VTT (coordinator, Finland), AIT (Austria), and TNO (Netherlands) and five of our member cities – Rotterdam, Tampere, Vienna, Zagreb and Zaragoza. Additional cities will contribute to the project in order to gather as much evidence and feedback as possible about the practical use, benefits and challenges of key performance indicators (KPI) and smart city project evaluation frameworks.
The project starts in February 2015 and will run for 2 years.
EUROCITIES will be responsible for:
• cooperating with cities on this project by identifying their needs and gathering their feedback on the tools under development
• leading on dissemination and communication activities
Benefits for the cities
Cities are expected to benefit from CITYKEYS strategic planning and measurement of their progress towards smart city goals, in order to promote response to citizen’s needs and clever use of cities budgets. In addition, CITYKEYS will support cooperation between cities involved in smart cities lighthouse projects and providing the possibility to compare solutions and find best practices. It will also provide recommendations to policy makers for collecting new sources of data in order to improved territorial knowledge for local smart city planning.
Project summary and objectives
The European Commission has developed two parallel approaches to support the implementation of smart urban technologies: the creation of 'lighthouse projects' (large scale demonstration of technology in cities and communities) and 'horizontal activities' to address specific challenges (e.g. regulatory barriers, in standardisation, public procurement and performance monitoring). CITYKEYS project is within the context of these horizontal activities. The mission of CITYKEYS is to develop, and validate, a holistic performance measurement framework for future harmonized and transparent monitoring and comparability of the European cities activities during the implementation of Smart City solutions. The work methodology will be based on the following key factors:
• Extensive collaboration and communication with European cities
• Establish a baseline by analysis and integration of existing results from previous initiatives
• Develop a set of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) specific for Smart Cities initiatives evaluation and comparability
• Smart solutions for transparent and open data collection and processing
The tangible objectives of the CITYKEYS project are to:
1) Develop and validate a transparent performance evaluation framework: including KPIs definition, guidelines for data collections, performance system prototype and testing in case-cities
2) Develop recommendations for the implementation of the performance system into the cities decision-making process and recommendations for the development of new business
3) Engage stakeholders in identifying and exploiting opportunities for synergy and replicability; and establish a collaboration platform for European cities