EUROCITIES shares statement on 5G deployment in cities with key recommendations for the EU
The fifth-generation wireless telecommunications standard (5G) is one of the key strategic technologies necessary to boost digital transformation in European cities. It is in cities where 5G experimentation and first deployment takes place, having a considerable impact: allowing for faster, more powerful, and reliable connectivity, data flows and development of new smart city applications while also bringing several challenges.
An agile taskforce was set up with interested KSF members for the elaboration of this statement. Besides providing key recommendations, the statement emphasizes the crucial role city authorities can play to support EU policy makers in developing future fit policies on the growth and impact of new and emerging technologies.
In the statement EUROCITIES makes key recommendations for the EU to ensure:
- Balanced and fair 5G deployment by fostering equal distribution of 5G networks.
- Responsible and safe 5G deployment by coordinating information on the real impact of 5G on human health and environment, and by providing funding to support research.
- Sustainable 5G deployment in cities developing common EU protocols on the design.
- A common and simplified EU regulatory framework on the use of public infrastructures to deploy 5G, defining telecom operators’ liability rules and new costs coverage for the management of these infrastructures.
- Clear governance rules about 5G data sharing platform management together with clear responsibility and liability measures on data management. EU legislative action should ensure access and use of 5G business to government (B2G) data sharing in the proposed Data Act.
- Strengthened collaboration with city governments for the full deployment and implementation of 5G, which includes developing and testing future fit policies and projects on the use and impact of new technologies.
Download the full document below